Before leaving for a trip:
- Take a good look in your closet for any clothes you haven't worn in a while, you've outgrown, aren't in style anymore, are worn out or stained.
- Look through your drawers for undergarments and socks that are worn out or have holes, etc.
- Check out your shoes. Are any worn out, out of style or you haven't worn in a while?
- For toiletry essentials like toothpaste, toothbrushes, deodorant, shampoo, razors, makeup - are there any of these that are at the "end of the tube"? Be sure to bring these ones along and throw them out along the way when they're finished.
- Bring along any magazines you have piling up that you haven't read yet. I subscribe to a few magazines and sometimes can't keep up with all of the reading. Save money in the airport and instead of buying magazines or books there, bring ones from home!
There are major benefits for following some or all of these tips:
- You'll definitely have a lighter luggage on return which may save you money on extra heavy luggage charges that many airlines are now charging
- You'll be clearing out clutter from your home
- Save money on reading material in the airport, since you'll be bringing your own
- Your luggage will be lighter to carry home, when you're exhausted from the great trip you had!
- If you're making multiple trips to different cities on your vacation, the unpacking & repacking of the luggage will get easier as you throw things away
- You'll be able to fill up the new space you get in your luggage from throwing things away - with souvenirs, etc.
- Your final unpacking when you get home will be much easier and quicker
- Your laundry will be lessened because of the clothes you threw out along the way