Sunday 11 November 2012

Top 10 Differences - Mat Leave & Working in an Office


This Saturday, November 10th, was my son's 6 month's "birthday".  So, being deep into my maternity leave routine I've been thinking a lot about the differences in my old routine and my new reality.  So I thought I'd do the Top 10 differences between working in a downtown Toronto office and being at home on maternity leave.


1. Every trip anywhere takes way longer than before to get ready and out the door, with all the baby gear.  I always seem to forget something too.  And just when I'm almost out the door my son either spits up on me or needs his diaper changed.  No more waking up 10 minutes before I need to go somewhere and "schleping" things together as I rush out the door!

2. The monotony of 1.5 hours total commuting on a train versus staying at home.  I definitely get a seat, without any pushing or fighting - any seat in the house, (unless there's a cat sitting on it). 

3. Listening to baby songs, (B-I-N-G-O) and nursery rhymes instead of blasting music in my car on the way to the GO train station and on my iPod.

4. Instead of being stuck at my cubicle staring at a computer screen  - stuck on the couch feeding my son for hours!

5. I have the best boss in the world - my little guy.  He always reviews me highly, and I'm sure he would give me a raise and promotion if he could.  

6. My favourite difference between maternity leave and the office is being able to make my own breakfast and lunch instead of eating in a food court or bringing in cold leftovers.  I like cooking and eating breakfast and lunch better than making dinner, (I leave that for my hubby). 

7. Talking to adults about sales results, numbers, numbers, and more numbers, versus talking to my son about "1,2,3s" and "A, B, Cs".  I can't wait to teach him everything I know, hopefully he'll like math, because I can't remember anything about history or science.

8. Bored at my desk staring at photos of my cats, vs. sitting beside my cats! It's way more fun to be sitting beside them and it's nice to be surrounded by someone who is always happy to see you.  Even if they're cats... 

9. I get WAY less colds, or flu.  When I commuted in a crowded train with everyone and their uncle coughing and sneezing I seemed to go from one cold to the next.  I always dreaded the warm pole. You know the one - when you're trying to hold on when the train is moving fast and you grab a pole someone else was just holding.  Yes, I'm a bit of a "germaphobe"! 

10. I wake up usually two hours earlier than when I worked - Who knew?  At least I get to have naps when the little man decides to cooperate!

Do any of these things sound familiar to you?  What differences did you notice between maternity leave and work?

No comments:

Post a Comment