Wednesday 9 January 2013

Mock Tiramisu - Easy, quick & with a few ingredients!


I came up with this recipe after the holidays because I had a few perishable ingredients in small quantities that I didn't have any regular use for.  I only use 35% cream in desserts and I only use Lady Finger cookies to make Tiramisu, not to eat as snack cookies....

So, to start with, do you have some leftover 35% whipping cream? First of all, poor you, (joking of course), I should say lucky you!  If you also have coffee or espresso, or a coffee liqueur, (depending on the day you're having) and cookies like either Lady Fingers or Nila wafers, that are hard cookies which easily sop up liquids.

If you have 5 minutes, you can make this into a great weeknight dessert.  I'm describing making single serving desserts, however you can follow this recipe and make it in a large bowl, just increase the ingredients appropriately.  

Ingredients (based on 1 single serving):

1/2 cup of 35% whipping cream
5-8 Lady Fingers or Nila wafers
1/2 tbs. of powdered sugar
1/2 tsp of pure vanilla


1. Get a small ramekin or other dish and break the cookies if needed, in order to fit them in the dish, in one layer.  You'll need about 5-8 Lady Fingers depending on the size of your dessert bowl.

2. Pour over slightly cooled brewed coffee, espresso or coffee liqueur, about a couple of tablespoons.  Set aside to let the cookies absorb the liquid while you whip the cream in the next step.

3. Whip the whipping cream, by pouring 1 cup of 35% whipping cream, 1 teaspoon of powdered/confectioners sugar and 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla.  To quickly make great whipped cream, put the mixing bowl and whisk in the fridge so they get really cold.  This will speed up the whipping process.



4. Spread a few tablespoons of the whipping cream over top.  Sprinkle on either cinnamon or cocoa powder.



5. Repeat the layers again - cookies, whipping cream, until you reach the top of the bowl.  Chill in the fridge for at least one hour.  Enjoy on a cold, gloomy winter day with a hot coffee, espresso or cappuccino!





Yah, me!  I published my first recipe! Enjoy!  You know I did! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment